It is with regret that we have decided to cancel the upcoming David Russell concert on April 18. I don’t think anyone could have predicted that our concert season would be ending with such widespread uncertainty about the future. While we had also hoped to reschedule the Cleveland debut of Berta Rojas (originally scheduled on March 14), we have determined that it is improbable that we can make any firm plans in the next couple of months. We hope to bring both of these fantastic artists to Cleveland in the future.
We will refund the full cost of the tickets for both of these concerts. If you prefer, you can choose to donate the cost of the tickets to the organization to help us navigate these difficult times. If you donate the tickets, you will receive an acknowledgement letter of your tax-deductible gift.
For season ticket subscribers, we will refund two-fifths of the subscription price to compensate for both of these concerts. The reimbursement amount per subscription is: General – $37.60 / Senior – $31.20 / Student – $16.00 / Gold Circle – $67.20
Thank you again for your patience and understanding. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions or concerns.
We appreciate your patience as we navigate this time of uncertainty with concert scheduling. It is safe to say that we’ve all found ourselves in a situation we didn’t expect!
At this point, we are hoping to reschedule the Berta Rojas concert for a later date. In keeping with the guidelines presented by Governor DeWine, we will likely wait three weeks to better see the outlook for the coming months. We ask that, if possible, you are able to bear with us until we have more information about finding a new date. If we are unable to reschedule, or if the rescheduled date does not work for your schedule, we will outline how to refund or exchange your ticket purchases. For season ticket subscribers, compensation will be determined based on 20% of the season ticket price.
We are already concerned about the David Russell concert on April 18. We have been in contact with his management, and have agreed to wait until the first week of April to discuss the probability of this concert. We will update you when we find out more information.
While we prefer that you wait, if you would like a refund for either concert now, please let us know.
As always, our top priority is the health of our audience, staff, and solo artist. We will work hard to make the best decision given this ever-evolving situation.
Please don’t hesitate to reach our by email (email@example.com) or phone (216-905-9348) if you have any questions or concerns. Stay safe and healthy!